Poison Ivy/Poison Oak/Poison Sumac:
Contact with plants like poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac can cause a rash or skin irritation. It is the oil found in the plants that causes the rash. This oil is called urushiol.
After you come in contact with the oil, the itchy and blistering rash appears after 12 to 72 hours.
Most people see the rash go away in a few weeks. If you have a serious reaction, you need to see a dermatologist right away. A rash from poison ivy, oak, or sumac usually lasts 1 to 3 weeks. Most rashes go away without treatment.
Identifying Poison Ivy
It is important to know and understand what Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac look like to avoid contact.
It’s good to find the remedy that is right for you, but with a bit of research, you can learn where poison ivy grows and avoid stepping into it to begin with. This will help keep your hiking or camping trip trouble-free, and help you to enjoy your outdoors activities without worrying about developing a rash later on.
Poison ivy grows in every US state except for Alaska, California and Hawaii. This means you probably live in an area where it thrives in appropriate climates. Summer is the time when these plants are in full bloom. Come autumn, they change colors and leaves like the other plants around them, making them difficult to spot.
Many think that poison ivy only grows in remote places, but it might be closer to home than you think. It can be found in the woods, but also thrives in your backyard.
This means that you can step in poison ivy walking to work just as easily as you would during that hike. It is crucial that you learn to identify it, so pay close attention to the notes in the table above.
Because poison ivy can grow so close to home, check your backyard for the plant or hire a professional to remove it for you. Clear the places where your children and pets play so that they won’t be injured by poison ivy.
Don’t let an uncomfortable rash complicate your life; do your research to prevent the complications that come with exposure to poison ivy. If you haven’t checked your yard for it yet, keep children and pets inside.
Make sure your family knows how to identify the leaves. That way you will keep those you love safe from unnecessary harm.